Earlier this month I posted a list of five favorite swinging action-jazz albums. This brassy genre was popular roughly between 1958 and 1963, with the proliferation of TV shows and movies featuring cops, robbers and private detectives. After posting the first list, I received a crime wave of emails calling for more. So, action-jazz albums:
- Music From Peter Gunn (1958)—Henry Mancini
- Private Life of a Private Eye (1959)—Enoch Light
- Music for a Private Eye (1959)—Ralph Marterie
- The Swingin' Eye (1960)—Si Zentner
- Man from O.R.G.A.N. (1963)—Dick Hyman
JazzWax clip: Think Sy Zentner is just a pop lounge lizard? Not so fast. Dig for yourself...